Court > Civil Jurisdiction

66 June Road
North Salem, NY 10560
Ph. 914-669-9691 Fax 914-669-8740

Civil Jurisdiction

Civil Cases
North Salem Court has jurisdiction over actions and proceedings for the recovery of money or property, provided that:
·      the plaintiff lives or works in North Salem, and the defendant lives or works in Westchester County; or
·      the defendant lives or works in North Salem regardless of plaintiff’s residence; and
·      the amount or the value of the personal property sought to be recovered does not exceed $3,000, with the exception of landlord/tenant matters where the monetary jurisdiction is unlimited.
Filing Fees
            Filing of first paper - $20.00
            Demand for Jury Trial - $10.00
            Notice of Appeal - $5.00
Replevin Action
Common law action to recover goods wrongfully taken or withheld.

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about Civil Cases

 Small Claims
Small Claims are informal Court proceedings to recover money only for an amount not to exceed $3,000, provided that:
·       the action is filed in the jurisdiction where the defendant lives, works or has a place of business; and
·       the plaintiff is an individual or sole proprietor over the age of 18 years.
Filing Fees  [Uniform Justice Court Act Sec. 1803(a)]
                        Claims of $1,000 or less - $10.00
                        Claims of more than $1,000 - $15.00
For more detailed information on commencing a Small Claims proceeding, please consult the:

Small Claims Guide prepared by the New York State Unified Court System

 Click here for Frequently Asked Questions for Small Claims Actions

Landlord/Tenant Proceedings
The North Salem Court has jurisdiction over landlord/tenant proceedings for non-payment of rent, evictions, holdover, and to compel repairs. The monetary jurisdiction is unlimited.

Click here for Frequently Asked questions for Landlord/Tenant Proceedings

Wedding Ceremonies
Town Justices are authorized to officiate at wedding ceremonies throughout New York State. While a standard civil ceremony may be used, the couple may request changes to the ceremony to fit their wishes. If you are interested in having a Town Justice officiate at a wedding, please contact the Justice Court to obtain further information.


The Town of North Salem, New York | Rebecca Gessler © 2009